Thursday 17 March 2011

Why Do People Write Blogs?


There are some people who get paid for writing blogs. Mostly they are journalists but it's not a necessity. They have agreements in which their obligations are agreed. In it it's said that they have to post something every week, or twice a week... That it has to have so many words and other editorial stuff of witch I'm not familiar with. It is a contract between an employer and an employee because that is what they are. The people who write these blogs are doing journalistic work. They might be talented and it might be fun and they might enjoy it but it is still paid work.

If they worked for a printed newspaper and not let's say a news portal their blogs would be called columns and they would not be bloggers but columnists. After all how different is a blog from a column. The main difference is that in a blog you get to leave a comment at the end if you want, but basically we can talk about a blog as it were a column.

So if we have agreed  upon a blog being  an internet column and if we've agreed that some people get paid for writing them then the following question emerges. What about all others? What about all the bloggers who do not get paid?

Well I do not get paid for writing this blog (maybe I should :D) but since it's a course requirement it can still be classified as work. So everyone else, who is not a professional blogger or a student of the New Media and Society course, people who write blogs recreationally, why do they write them?

As ungrateful as it is to go and generalize  individual motives on a macro-level perhaps that is exactly what should be done. Or not.

Instead an experiment can be proposed. Select any blog service and search for a random blog. Do not go to the suggested blogs just pick a random blog. After that pick another... What can be induced from the results?

Well I did the experiment. I selected a blog service by writing "blog" on Google and went with the first one which was Blog.com. Then I wrote the first thing I thought of on the search bar. :)



I got 101 320 results but followed the first one and learned "why you shouldn't eat Parrot Fish" at Reef-World Blog.
Then I wrote the next thing that I thought of and got 3 233 results.




Well this is an interesting blog. I found out what is one of three bad dreamer's new years resolutions  at Only boring people get bored.

Then I selected the option Random Blog and got John Kendall who asked me "did I draft my terminal tweet".

...

As someone recently said the "desire is the limit" but this is enough for illustration. Now it is your turn.
These are my results.Feel free to check them out and learn "why you shouldn't eat Parrot Fish".

What can bee induced from all this? Only that for what ever reason they write them people like writing their own columns. I know this because there are so many blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment